Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), American Physical Society Division of Fluid Dynamics (APS DFD)
Fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, compressible flow: Our group uses the Emil Buehler Supersonic Wind Tunnel to study flow physics and control in a varied number of applications. Current research topics include controlling a supersonic projectile’s trajectory using laser energy deposition, investigation of three-dimensional shock/boundary layer interactions, and measurement of the near wake past bluff bodies. Our measurement capabilities include schlieren imaging and particle image velocimetry.
- DeMauro, E.P., Wagner, J.L., Beresh, S.J., and Farias, P.A., “Unsteady drag following shock wave impingement on a dense particle curtain measured using pulse-burst PIV,” Physical Review Fluids, Vol. 2, No. 6, 2017, 064301. doi: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.2.064301.
- Wagner, J.L., Beresh, S.J., Casper, K.M., DeMauro, E.P., and Arunajatesan, S., “Resonance dynamics in compressible cavity flows using time-resolved velocity and surface pressure fields,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 830, 2017, pp. 494 – 527. doi: 10.1017/jfm.2017.606.
- Beresh, S.J., Wagner, J.L., Casper, K.M., DeMauro, E.P., Henfling, J.F., and Spillers, R.W., “Spatial distribution of resonance in the velocity field for transonic flow over a rectangular cavity,” AIAA Journal, 2017. doi: 10.2514/1.j056106.
- DeMauro, E.P., Casper, K.M., Beresh, S.J., Wagner, J.L., Henfling, J.F., and Spillers, R.W., “Study of the flow within finite-span complex cavities using particle image velocimetry and pressure sensitive paint,” AIAA Paper No. 2017-1474, Jan. 2017.
- DeMauro, E.P., Wagner, J.L., DeChant, L.J., Beresh, S.J., Farias, P.A., Turpin, A.M., Sealy, W., Albert, S.W., and Sanderson, P.D., “Measurements of the initial transient of a dense particle curtain following shock wave impingement,” AIAA Paper No. 2017-1466, Jan. 2017.
- DeMauro, E.P., Beresh, S.J., Wagner, J.L., Henfling, J.F., and Spillers, R.W., “Three-dimensional measurement of edge effects in open cavities of finite-span,” AIAA Paper No. 2016-3314, June 2016.
- Wagner, J.L., Beresh, S.J., DeMauro, E.P., Casper, K.M., Guildenbecher, D.R., Pruett, B.O., and Farias, P.A., “Pulse-burst PIV measurements of transient phenomena in a shock tube,” AIAA Paper No. 2016-0791, Jan. 2016.
- DeMauro, E.P., Leong, C.M., and Amitay, M., “Interaction of a synthetic jet with the flow over a low aspect ratio cylinder,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 25, No. 6, 2013, 064104. doi: 10.1063/1.4811710.