Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Conceptual design, modeling/simulation, optimization, control, manufacturing and testing/validation of smart-material based multi-physics systems. Piezoelectric materials and shape-memory alloys are among the materials that are studied. Applications include aircraft systems such as multi-rotor drones, fixed-wing, flapping-wing and rotary-wing aircraft, energy-conversion and harvesting systems, soft/compliant robotics, manipulators and biomechanical systems, and mobile biomedical devices.
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2010
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2007
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2005
- Bilgen, O., and Alberts, T. E., 2016, “A Direct-Drive Piezocomposite Solid-State Rotor with Contactless Power and Data Transmission,” ASME 2016 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems (SMASIS2016), September 28-30, 2014, Stowe, Vermont, USA, SMASIS2016-9021.
- Wright, C. and Bilgen, O., 2016, “Analysis and design of a shape memory alloy actuated arm to replicate human biomechanics,” ASME 2016 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems (SMASIS2016), September 28-30, 2014, Stowe, Vermont, USA, SMASIS2016-9018.
- Hauris, F. and Bilgen, O., 2016, “Induced Strain Actuation for a Solid-State Wing,” ASME 2016 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems (SMASIS2016), September 28-30, 2014, Stowe, Vermont, USA, SMASIS2016-9020.
- Simsek, M. R., and Bilgen, O., 2016, “Hybrid Position Feedback Controller for Inducing Cross-Well Motion of Bistable Structures,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 54, No. 12, pp. 4011 – 4021. doi: 10.2514/1.J055181
- Bilgen, O., Kenerson, J. G., Akpinar-Elci, M., Hattery, R. Hanson, L. M., 2015, “The Search for High-Impact Diagnostic and Management Tools for Low- and Middle-Income Countries: A Self-Powered Low-Cost Blood Pressure Measurement Device Powered by a Solid-State Vibration Energy Harvester,” Journal of Clinical Hypertension, Vol. 18, No. 8, pp. 644-650. doi: 10.1111/jch.12554
- Bilgen, O., Friswell, M. I., Ali, S. F., Litak, G., 2015, “Broadband Vibration Energy Harvesting from a Vertical Cantilever Piezocomposite Beam with Tip Mass,” International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, Vol. 15, No. 2, p. 1450038, 32 pp. doi: 10.1142/S0219455414500382
- Bilgen, O., Kochersberger, K. B., Inman, D. J. and Ohanian, O. J., 2010, “Lightweight High Voltage Electronic Circuits for Piezoelectric Composite Actuators,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 21, No. 14, pp. 1417-1426. doi: 10.1177/1045389X10381657
- Bilgen, O., Erturk, A. and Inman, D.J., 2010, “Analytical and Experimental Characterization of Macro-Fiber Composite Actuated Thin Clamped-Free Unimorph Benders,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 132, 051005-1.
- Bilgen, O., Kochersberger, K. B., Inman, D. J. and Ohanian, O. J., 2010, “Novel, Bi-Directional, Variable-Camber Airfoil via Macro-Fiber Composite Actuators,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 303-314. doi: 10.2514/1.45452
- Bilgen, O., Kochersberger, K. B. and Inman, D. J., 2009, “Macro-Fiber Composite Actuators for a Swept Wing Unmanned Aircraft,” Aeronautical Journal, Special issue on Flight Structures Fundamental Research in the USA, publication of Royal Aeronautical Society, Vol. 113, No 1144, pp. 385-395.