Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Office Hours: By appointmentWebsite: Andrew Norris
- Ph.D., Engineering Sciences & Applied Math., Northwestern University, 1981
- M.S., Mathematical Physics, University College, Dublin, 1978
- B.S., Mathematical Physics, University College, Dublin, 1977
Developing fundamental mechanical models for metamaterials that exhibit extraordinary wave bearing properties. Related interests in elastic wave scattering (crack detection, ultrasonic nondestructive evaluation), effective medium theories (phononics, composite materials), nonlinear acoustics and elastic waves (waves in rocks, granular solids), acoustic scattering and structural vibration (marine acoustics, detection), entropic elasticity of macromolecules, electromechanical properties of polymers, modeling of poroelastic media (seismic waves, borehole acoustics), surface mechanics, and inverse scattering.
- Enhanced acoustic transmission through a slanted grating, with X. Su, Comptes rendus - Mécanique , 2015. pdf
- Active cloaking of flexural waves in thin plates, with G. Futhazar and W. J. Parnell, J. Sound Vib. , 2015.
- Acoustic integrated extinction, Proc. R. Soc. A, 471(2177), 2015. pdf doi
- Acoustic cloaking, Acoustic Today, 11(1), 38-46, 2015. pdf online
- Scattering of flexural waves from a hole in a thin plate with an internal beam, with A. Climente and J. Sanchez-Dehesa, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 137(1), 293-302, 2015. pdf doi
- Acoustic scattering from an infinitely long cylindrical shell with an internal mass attached by multiple axisymmetrically distributed stiffeners, with A. Titovich, J. Sound. Vib., 338, 134-153, 2015. pdf doi
- Effective antiplane shear wave speed in 2D periodic piezoelectric crystals, with A. A. Kutsenko and A. L. Shuvalov, Int. J. Engng. Sc. 88, 29–39 , 2015.pdf doi
- Mechanics of elastic networks, Proc. R. Soc. A, 470(2172), 20140522, 2014. pdf doi
- Tunable cylindrical shell as an element in acoustic metamaterial, with A. Titovich, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 136(4), 1601-1609, 2014. pdf doi
- Focusing capability of a phononic crystal based on a hollow metallic structure, with J. Vasseur, A-C Hladky-Hennion, C. Croenne, L. Haumesser, Trans. Ultrason. Ferroel. & Freq. Control, 61(8), 1314-1321, 2014. pdf doi